Every bird wants to feed on sunflower seeds. Some birds shell and eat the whole seeds, while others simply take the kernel out after extracting them from their shell. But what about humans? Can we eat sunflower seed shell too?
What Is the Shell ofa Sunflower Seed?
The shell of a sunflower seed is the hard outer layer that protects the seed. It can be eaten if you’re very hungry, but it’s not something you would want to eat on a regular basis because it’s so hard and has a bitter taste.
The shell is made up of two parts: an outer layer called the pericarp, and an inner layer called the testa (or seed coat). The pericarp is often removed before eating sunflower seeds, so unless you have access to fresh seeds that haven’t been taken out of their shells, you won’t encounter this part of the seed.
The shell is edible, but most people don’t eat it because it’s so thick. If you take your time and chew it thoroughly, it can be eaten like any other nut or seed.
The seeds are often used in cooking as well as for roasting, but you can also eat them raw if you’re not picky about texture.
Sunflower Seeds Health Benefits
Sunflower seeds are a delicious snack, but they can also be used to make a healthy salad dressing. The seeds contain a variety of nutrients that can improve your health. Some of the health benefits of sunflower seeds include:
Cholesterol reduction: Sunflower seeds are loaded with cholesterol-lowering fats. According to research published in the “Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitamin ology,” eating 1 ounce of raw sunflower seeds reduces total cholesterol by 5 percent and LDL (bad) cholesterol by 8 percent within two hours after consumption.
Skin protection: The vitamin E found in sunflower seeds can help prevent skin damage from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, according to Dr. Andrew Weil’s website, drweil.com. Eating 2 tablespoons of raw or roasted sunflower seeds daily may help protect your skin from premature aging caused by exposure to sunlight.
Heart health: Sunflower seed oil contains high levels of oleic acid, which reduces the risk of heart disease, according to an article published on DrFuhrman.com. Eating 2 tablespoons of raw or roasted sunflower seeds daily may lower blood pressure and decrease blood clotting in people with high cholesterol levels, according to an article published on DrFuhrman.com
Are Sunflower Seed Shells Safe to Eat?
Sunflower seeds are a healthy snack. They are high in protein, fiber and vitamins. However, the shells of sunflower seeds can be poisonous to dogs, cats and other animals if they eat them.
- Are Sunflower Seed Shells Safe to Eat?
The shell is not safe for consumption; however, the seed inside the shell is safe to eat. The shell contains toxins that are harmful to pets if ingested. If your dog chews on a sunflower seed shell, it could get sick or even die from eating it.
- Symptoms of Toxicity in Pets
If your pet has eaten a sunflower seed shell, you should watch for symptoms of toxicity such as:
- Stomach pain
- Weakness or depression (lethargy)
How to Eat Sunflower Seeds
You can eat the shell of a sunflower seed. The shell is basically an outer layer covering the seed, so it’s safe to eat.
- The seeds are edible and nutritious. They’re rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
Some people claim that eating sunflower seed shells can help you lose weight because they are low in calories, but that’s not true. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight without resorting to shelling sunflower seeds!
- You can eat sunflower seeds with or without their shells. If you have trouble chewing them up whole, then you may want to try soaking them in water first, so they become softer and easier to chew on. You can also cut them open using a paring knife or nutcracker if you prefer not to chew them whole.
Why Do You Peel Sunflower Seed Shells?
Sunflower seeds are a delicious, healthy snack. They’re also easy to grow and have many uses in the garden. However, they have a shell that is hard to crack.
You might have wondered why you need to peel sunflower seed shells before eating them. After all, isn’t it easier to just eat them with the shell? It turns out there are several reasons why you might want to peel sunflower seeds before eating them.
- Why Do You Peel Sunflower Seed Shells?
Many people have asked why they need to remove the shell from sunflower seeds before eating them. There are several reasons for this:
- Many seeds are bitter or bitter-tasting due to the presence of chemicals called saponins in their outer coatings. These chemicals deter animals from eating the seeds so that they can sprout into new plants if left uneaten on the ground or in bird droppings. For humans, though, these chemicals can be unpleasant or even toxic if consumed in large quantities or over an extended period (source). Peeling off the outer coating removes these saponins so that they don’t affect how your body processes or digests your food (source).
In the end, you must decide if the time and energy spent breaking the shell of a sunflower seed is really worth it. You may have a nice seed in the end but eating them raw may not be the best option. However, if nothing else is available, then you can safely enjoy these seeds; just make sure not to swallow the shells.