- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the hazelnuts over a baking tray. Spread the pistachios over a separate baking tray. Toast both nuts in the oven for 5 minutes, until they become fragrant and before they brown.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a dish towel while they are still warm, and rub the towel over them to remove the skins.
- Toast all of the seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, until they begin to pop.
- Transfer all ingredients to a food processor, adding the salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Store at room temperature, lidded, with your spices.
Dukkah is incredible over roasted vegetables or as a crust for proteins like chicken. It also makes a lovely addition to dips like hummus or white bean spread.
Hazelnuts, pistachios, and sesame seeds all provide fiber and healthy fats that assist in lowering cholesterol. They also pack in a healthy dose of magnesium, zinc, potassium and vitamin E. Nuts are an incredible addition to the diet, and are an especially intelligent choice when used in moderation and as accents for other foods. Nuts can be high in calories (about their only ‘downside’), but when used as a garnish, we can get the benefits without so much of the dent in our calorie count.