Fresh Tomato Salsa
- 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, (about five medium), seeded and chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Tabasco sauce can be substituted with fresh jalapeño for those who feel adventuresome.
Salsa is one of the healthiest snacks and appetizers you could reach for! Tomatoes are rich in potassium, folic acid and vitamins A, C and E. They also contain the powerful antioxidant lycopene. This is what gives tomatoes their rich red color, and also provides us with anti-inflammatory and detoxification benefits. The tomato also contains anti-thrombotic agents that keep you blood vessels clear and healthy, making for a happy heart. Remember that fresher, organic tomatoes are always more nutrient-dense! Believe me, you can see and taste the difference!
While I do enjoy dipping organic tortilla chips into this fresh salsa, they definitely aren’t the only option. I also love to use this on top of grilled fish or chicken, and on salads. Add in some homemade guacamole and I’m in heaven!