Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2½ pounds russet potato, or yucon potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut top 1/4 inch off head of garlic to expose tops of cloves. Place in small baking dish. Spoon oil over; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until garlic cloves are tender, about 45 minutes. Squeeze garlic cloves from skins and mash in small bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 18 minutes. Drain; return to pot.
- Add butter, roasted garlic, and mash together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in chives and serve.
Potatoes are a nice source of dietary fiber, as well as vitamin B6, potassium and vitamin C. Garlic has incredible anti-microbial properties and is fabulous for helping to fight off any illnesses. In my book, there's no such thing as too much garlic.. especially when you're making garlic mashed potatoes!