Wild Rice Stuffed Pumpkins with Black Beans, Cashews & Corn
Total Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 pound wild rice, blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery stalk, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen organic corn kernels
- 1½ cups black beans, cooked, or 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cashews, chopped and toasted
- 8 small pumpkins, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare wild rice blend according to package directions. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, sage, and thyme. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in corn and black beans, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Stir rice mixture into mushroom mixture and fold in cashews. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut tops off of pumpkins and scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Fill pumpkins with rice mixture, cover with top, and bake 1.5 to 2 hours, or until pumpkin is tender when side is pierced with knife tip. Uncover, and bake 10 to 20 minutes more.
- Let cool a bit and serve!
Pumpkins are loaded with vitamin A, which is fabulous for eyesight and skin health. They are also chock-full of fiber, but low in calories, helping to keep you fuller, longer. Their saturated orange color is thanks to beta-carotene, which is a potent antioxidant. It is fabulous for its anti-aging capabilities and for fighting off wrinkles. Pumpkins also contain more potassium than bananas, so they are a great post-workout choice and help to balance fluids in the body.
Wild rice is very high in dietary fiber which will help to keep your digestive system running smoothly. It also has a high level of vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants. Combined with black beans and cashews, this meal offers a complete protein (with all of the necessary amino acids), as well as healthy fats to help stabilize blood sugar!