- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Oil baking sheet with 1 tablespoon ghee. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes.
- Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Mix in onion, cannellini beans, ginger, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon, and cardamom. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add squash and 5 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender (or use a hand blender and purée in pot). Return soup to pot and season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Butternut squash is such a delicious fall favorite! It is very high in dietary fiber and also contains significant amounts of potassium and vitamin B6. Since it’s a bright orange color, we also know that it’s loaded with vitamin A which helps to boost the health of our eyes and skin.
What’s great about this recipe is that the addition of cannellini beans provide a nice dose of protein to make this soup a bit more filling and satisfying!