Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 chicken hindquarters, skin-on, bone-in
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and pat chicken dry. Massage 1-2 tablespoons ghee into chicken, coating well. Season with salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Place chicken on a large rimmed baking sheet and place into preheated oven. Cook for 35 minutes or until skin crisps and meat is cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken has an incredible amount of protein for its low calorie content. Chicken is also loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, which are helpful in preventing cataracts and boosting energy and immunity.
And don’t forget to save the bones! When cooked for an extended period of time, they offer up a broth that is incredibly rich in collagen that will help to heal your gut and fortify you hair, skin, nails and joints. When you have a large amount of chicken bones or a carcass, toss it into a slow cooker and add celery, carrot, onions and a tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar (to help break down the bone minerals). Cover with water and cook on low for 12-18 hours. Strain out all ingredients.
Can be used as broth in any soup or frozen for later!